 Trains / 13441
Re: Help on 8-wide baseplate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 15:46:31 GMT

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Ken Godawa wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to train building and I'm currently working
on an 8-wide two level passenger train.  I'm using the 6 x 34
baseplate from the set 4561.  By the looks of my train car,
it seems a bit short. I would like to add more length to it.
How is the best way to do this?  Is there short baseplates, with
a hole, out there that I can add as an extension to each end?

Thanks, Ken

I have to agree with Sonnich. Most 8-widers seem to avoid train baseplates. I
have not been able to work a train baseplate into any of my designs yet. Go with
plate and technic plates and you can build to what ever dimensions you wish.

Chris

Plates and technic plates are the great, and I agree they are likely the best
way to go.  But don't forget about the standard train baseplates.   You just *
might* find a use for one in an 8-wide creation; I did for my German DB 212
locomotive.

All of the other 8-wide models shown above use the plates, technic plates, and
2x2 tiles with the vertical technic pin.

I used a black 6x28 train baseplate from the "train accessory" pack (included
plate, wheels, bogie plate, couplers, etc.).  I built off the standard plate to
make the model 8-wide and a few studs longer than 28.  Thus, the 6x28 plate is
hidden, but it is a very nice firm foundation on which to build the model.

Building 8-wide is a lot of fun.  Enjoy!

later,
James Mathis

Oh, sure, _you_ can find a way to use one, but I am just a simple man building
simple models :)

Actually, I responded because I noticed that there is a lot more happening on
the bottom of that engine than I noticed before. I don't normally make "please
take picture" requests, but is there any way you could take some close ups of
the lower part of the engine? I think I noticed some things that I would like to
see more clearly, like a skirt on each side in the middle of the engine, and the
mini-roll-bar bricks being used as steps.

Chris