 Trains / 13453
Re: Help on 8-wide baseplate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:03:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
James Mathis wrote:

Plates and technic plates are the great, and I agree they are likely the best
way to go.  But don't forget about the standard train baseplates.   You just *
might* find a use for one in an 8-wide creation; I did for my German DB 212
locomotive.

All of the other 8-wide models shown above use the plates, technic plates, and
2x2 tiles with the vertical technic pin.

I used a black 6x28 train baseplate from the "train accessory" pack (included
plate, wheels, bogie plate, couplers, etc.).  I built off the standard plate to
make the model 8-wide and a few studs longer than 28.  Thus, the 6x28 plate is
hidden, but it is a very nice firm foundation on which to build the model.

Building 8-wide is a lot of fun.  Enjoy!

later,
James Mathis

Oh, sure, _you_ can find a way to use one, but I am just a simple man building
simple models :)

Actually, I responded because I noticed that there is a lot more happening on
the bottom of that engine than I noticed before. I don't normally make "please
take picture" requests, but is there any way you could take some close ups of
the lower part of the engine? I think I noticed some things that I would like to
see more clearly, like a skirt on each side in the middle of the engine, and the
mini-roll-bar bricks being used as steps.

Chris

Chris,

Have a look here for what formed the foundation of my DB 212 locomotive and
the non-powered wheels:

The side skirting hangs one plate lower than the bottom of the 6x28 train
baseplate (which, by the way should be the newer train plate with only 3
technic-sized ones at either end).  The skirting interfers a little with the
non-powered wheels, as well as the 9v motor decorative siding such that
through curves the body of the locomotive tilts slightly.  I added the round
control lever bases to the non-powered wheel set to lift the body off the
wheels just a little to try to reduce this interference.

I have thought of redesigning the side skirting to completely eliminate the
issue....

Thanks for asking about the design.

later,
James Mathis