 Trains / 13332
Re: Hogworts Express Conversion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:32:37 GMT

It would seem that Lego had trainheads in mind when they designed the
Hogwarts Express.  I've just finished building the engine from my brothers
set, and here are a few comments:

The bogies that come with it do not pivot, they are mounted solid to the
bottom of the train base.

The train base used it 24 studs long.  I'm not sure, but I think this may be
the shorter one.

The design of the engine on top of the base does leave room above the holes
for the mounting of a standard pivoting bogie.

The holes to run a wire through to supply electricity to a light are covered
over by the design.

The 4x4 radar dish on the front is preprinted.  Everything else in the set
appears to be a sticker.

For some odd reason, the top of the boiler opens up and by pushing a lever
in the cab you can make a treasure chest pop out.  It uses a red technic
shock to srping load it.  The treasure chest has two keys in it.  I'm not
sure where they got this from.

Troy

John Furlong <john.t.furlong@lmco.com> wrote in message
I just saw the new fall shop at home catalog and the hogworts express set
description states that the train will not run on 9V track.  In the • picture
of the set it appears that the train is built on the standard long train
bases.  I would think that it would be a trivial matter to substitute the
wheel sets with a motor and standard track wheel sets.  Does anyone know • of
any reasons why that's not possible (ie. train cars too long to go through
curves or maybe some aspect of the train design that escapes me)?

John