 Trains / 13138
Re: 12 volt train track: Blue versus Gray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:55:33 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams writes:
Is the blue 12v track compatible with the gray 12v track?

Yes it is nearly identical: grey has double amount of sleepers and different
sleeper (with snap locks). But where blue and grey meet you can simply use a
white sleeper of the blue track, that is all.

of course if one wants to make the ties (sleepers) uniform in color, you
just needs lots of dark grey 2x8 plates (or you could use white 2x8
plates instead of the dark grey ties). What surprised me a little is
that the blue conducting rails do not allow for a center tie. I tried to
use blue conducting rails with grey track and discovered this.

What about the
points (switches)?

Each system offers hand crafted points and remote controlled points. You can
update the grey hand crafted ones with set 7863(?), but you can't do that with
the blue ones. Blue remote controlled points need 16V for operation. So you
can't use the 741 transformer, but you need the older one of type 740.

Has anyone tried using 12v with the blue remote turnouts? I have tried
using 9v with the grey remote turnouts and they seem to work fine.

Was there any overlap between blue and grey train systems? I have seen
that the blue era 12v motor uses the same housing as a 4.5v motor and
has special bricks which plug in the bottom which provide the conducting
studs to contact the conducting rails (I also have a set of these bricks
which have a much larger pin which does not fit in any motor block I
have, has anyone had experience with that? Does anyone have a old style
12v motor with the larger holes they would be interested in
selling/trading?). The power pickup brick also has tracks for an extra
pair of wheels which can swivel to make an 8 wheeled engine (look at set
727 for one example of this). There are also similar blocks which have
the swivel track but not the power pickup studs which are used on push
or 4.5v trains (look at set 162 for an example of this).

Interestingly, the grey 12v transformer (7864) has a control knob which
can be turned over which then limits the variable output to +- 4.5v
which lets one use the blue era power pickup bricks with a 4.5v motor to
allow 4.5v trains to utilize the 12v conducting rails and escape from
their battery car.

I've become much more aware of the older LEGO trains after winning an
eBay lot with a 741, much of a 727 (missing the 1x2x2 clear bricks with
window frame printing), 162, 147, much of a 182 (the loco is
incomplete), a bunch of track, and a pair of 12v blue turnouts. No
instructions though, so I had to dig though the database to figure out
what I had.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com