 Trains / 13137
Re: 12 volt train track: Blue versus Gray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams writes:
Is the blue 12v track compatible with the gray 12v track?

Yes it is nearly identical: grey has double amount of sleepers and different
sleeper (with snap locks). But where blue and grey meet you can simply use a
white sleeper of the blue track, that is all.

What about the
points (switches)?

Each system offers hand crafted points and remote controlled points. You can
update the grey hand crafted ones with set 7863(?), but you can't do that with
the blue ones. Blue remote controlled points need 16V for operation. So you
can't use the 741 transformer, but you need the older one of type 740.

You might believe it or not: first points have been the remote controlled:
later came the handcrafted ones... That's why I joked several times next trains
after 4561 would come without motor (now we have: My Own Train?) and after that
train stuff might come without track + train wheels (have you seen the Harry
Potter train?).

Geometry of 12V and 4.5V track is all the same, but you can't update 4.5V
points + cross sections to 12V.

Also, as far as track geometry is concerned, is 12v track compatible with 9v
track? I know the electrics are different.

It has completely different points. Cross sections, straight track and curves
have same geometry.

Leg Godt,

Ben

my train pages: