 Trains / 12178
Re: Yet Another S@H Catalog Observation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 02:07:26 GMT

I've seen the decoders for $45 by themselves...even with
mass production (quantity buying)

The cheapest on the Digitrax site are $25 USD a pop.  I would imagine that they
cost $12 or less a piece.  Most of what is contained on a decoder can be
embedded on a single chip (a la Zero One for those of you who have ever studied
command control), which would bring the price down even further _with very
large scale mass production_

...I'm sure the new motors w/ dcc won't be
cheap.  25 is fair making a train motor 50 (not including the light)
So the ultimate indesputable point is that dcc will only please the real
die-hard fans....that's my theory right now*

I'd tend to think around $45 for the decoder equipped motor.

James Powell
(waiting for my Digitrax system to arrive :)