 Trains / 11927
Re: Town Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:38:36 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GFJtK3.A6I@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, David Lairson writes:
Hi All,
I'm working hard getting my town/train setup and after visiting a number • of
other peoples town sites I got to thinking. There are two different • styles
at work, one is a realistic style, makeing the buildings, etc.. as • realistic
as possible, and the "lego" style, which we all know (open backed • buildings,
buildings that are only about 8-10 studs deep, etc..) I've been building • my
stuff in the lego stlye, so that I can use Lego sets in my town with out
them standing out.
My question for the groop is, is there a prefered style to use? I'm sure
it's just a matter of personal opinion, but I would like so people to • share
their views on it...

Good question!!

[ ... snipped ... ]

Totally your call, there is no wrong answer. Consider the factors, do you
have kids that like to roleplay? Openback may be better. Do you want to • look
at your buildings from all angles? Solid may be better.

[ ... snipped ... ]

In this picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=50661 you
can see the buildings I built for the Raleigh GATS show last weekend.  I
have historically built my buildings with open backs but decided not to for
the GATS show.  I had two reasons for doing this.

1)  For the smaller buildings toward the front of the layout I wasn't sure
which direction they would end up facing so I wanted to make sure they would
look okay from where ever they were viewed.

2)  For the large buildings along the back of my section, I built them four
sided so they would be sturdy and transport to and from the show better.  I
didn't have any problems with any of them coming apart during transport.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot