 Trains / 11536
Re: New MOC: Loading point for aggregate hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:39:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Huw Millington writes:
Ever wondered how the 4536 hoppers are loaded from above?

My latest model is based on Redmire, a facility in the North East of England
used for loading limestone quarried nearby into railway hopper wagons for
onward transport to steel works. Its simplicity makes it an ideal prototype
to model. Lorries reverse over a small bridge, then discharge stone down a
chute into a waiting wagon.

See it here, and a picture of the prototype at:

http://www.brickset.com/huwhomepage/moc/trains/redmire/

LMKWYT

Huw

Huw, that is brilliant.  I love it.  (Despite the obvious lack of orange
bricks :-)  Okay, sorry for the feeble wit, but what more can I say?
Marvellous.  Next up - Mindstorms fully automated loading bay...?

Jason J Railton

P.S.  Okay, the reason for those round holes in the ends of the engine
sheds?  They would originally have had a tripod mount with an electric motor
and three-bladed fan sat in the circle as an extractor.  They don't appear
to have been a tight enough fit to be all that efficient, and the quality of
electric motors and reliability of the electricity supply was a bit lacking
back then, so I don't suppose they were a lasting feature.  I've only ever
seen them on kits, not in any photos or restorations.