 Trains / 11470
  What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

I'm trying to build a carriage, I've decided on 8 wide, mainly because of the parts I have. What I want to know is, what is the maximum length it can be and still go around corners? I'm at about 40 studs at the moment, but it may need to be a little (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) I've done 50, but i'm sure someone else has built larger. Josh (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) I have a coach that is 60 studs long. It is 40 studs from truck pivot point to truck pivot point. The car can negotiate any curve, but it cannot negotiate a switch track that is placed directly after a curve (if the siding and the curve go off (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) Don't sweat it; my Hiawatha cars are 60 studs long [1] and run fine. -John [1] which, by my calculations, translates to a 79' passenger car. (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

Hi Martin, Good choice! 8 wides just look great and it's a nice relation to the tracks! Some theory about maxiumum length: First of all, whatever you plan to build you just may use two pivots at each carriage. The other alternativ are (more or less) (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

Upps, the scratches doesn't look like they used to in the editing window ;-(( Holger (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) It does show up correctly in my newsreader (using a fixed width font). To view it in the browser; try the 'raw' message option (top right above the 'reply' button). Or try this link: (URL) ASCII art Holger ;-) -Frank (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) I have used 4 axles in one truck. The trick is to make the two center axles 'sideways slideable'. This is pretty easy to accomplish: the two outer axles have a tile-with-centerstud, the two middle axles have tiles in them. Now connect the two (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  4 axle truck design (was Re: What is the maximum length ....)

(...) I received a few requests per email so I uploaded a .dat file at Brickshelf that shows the principle. (URL) don't have internet access this weekend (I made the dat file during my lunchbreak at work) to make proper images of each step but I (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.

(...) per (...) I actually used six axles on each end of my K5 Leopold railway gun, which is 85 studs long and can still negotiate the tight LEGO track curves. Each truck is made up of three axles, but the method I used could actually be extended (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)