 Trains / 11477
Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:56:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes writes:

All other carriages with trucks have just two pivots! The nummber of axles per
truck might differ a lot. Minimum is 2, maximum is ??

I have used 4 axles in one truck. The trick is to make the two center axles
'sideways slideable'. This is pretty easy to accomplish: the two outer axles
have a tile-with-centerstud, the two middle axles have tiles in them. Now
connect the two outer axles with a 1x8 tile. If you build plates on top of
the truck the two center axles won't fall off when you pickup the car.
I use this in my railway crane:
http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/trains/images/cranebig01.jpg

4 axles is the limit using this method, when using 5 axles the center axle
needs to slide more than a stud sideways and there is not enough room for
that inside the 9V wheel element. I think it could be done using 4.5V
wheelsets and use 1x2x1 panels to create the extra space to slide.

Uhm after rereading my post I hope it makes sense... if anyone is interested
I can make MLCad instructions of this method.

-Frank