 Trains / 11474
Re: What is the maximum length of a single carriage.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:17:28 GMT

Hi Martin,

Good choice! 8 wides just look great and it's a nice relation to the tracks!

Some theory about maxiumum length:

First of all, whatever you plan to build you just may use two pivots at each
carriage. The other alternativ are (more or less) fixed axles which cannot
rotate. These carriages naturally will becomne much shorter. They have 2 or 3
axles:

  _____________
(-             -)
   O    O    O

See an example at Gianluca's brickshelf-galery:

All other carriages with trucks have just two pivots! The nummber of axles per
truck might differ a lot. Minimum is 2, maximum is ??

   __________________________
(-   :                   :   -)
   O-O-O               O-O-O

If there will be more then 3 axles you might have to devide the truck in more
sub-groups which are conected together but still using just one pivot to the
carriage basis:

   _______________________________________
          :                         :
(-     ______                    ______     -)
      :      :                  :      :
    O-O-O  O-O-O              O-O-O  O-O-O

I hope my scratches makes sense? ":" is the pivot!

If you have 3 axles in one truck and the gap between the 9V train wheels is 2
studs or more you have to build the middle axle flexible so it can move
sidewards while the carriage goes throug curves:

Even more complicated are steam-engine wheelsets. But again, there are just two
pivots to the upper main structure:

And now the lenght: If you start to explor the maximum lenght you might end up
in:

...endless carriages, if you don't want to negotiate a full/half LEGO® train
circle
...a carriage as long as the diameter of the LEGO® train circle. The first
truck will leave the half-circle just in the moment the second enters the
circle.

(Ok, that's moreless theory, you want to build practical...)

I personally would say that a length of 50 - 60 studs seems to be ok. The
passenger carriages of my Riviera Express are 54 studs long:

If you compare it with the 1:83 models from Märklin and other model
railway-makers 54 studs even seems to be too short...

Ok, go for it and I like to see some 8-wide pictures soon!

Regards,

Holger  ...from Germany

In lugnet.trains, Martin Scragg writes:
I'm trying to build a carriage, I've decided on 8 wide, mainly because of
the parts I have.  What I want to know is, what is the maximum length it can
be and still go around corners?  I'm at about 40 studs at the moment, but it
may need to be a little bit longer.

Martin