 Trains / 10748
    Re: Coal Car Question —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) The car is rotated to empty it out. In the dusty archives of this group is a link to a rotary tipper that someone built. Note that in the prototype, often a cut of cars is rotated *in place*, that is, while still coupled in the train. This (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Coal Car Question —Dave Schuler
     (...) I had no idea there were so many options! The rotary design seems like the right one. I wasn't able to take a long look, but I think the body of the car was essentially one piece, rather than having an independent rotating section or a bottom (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Coal Car Question —John Neal
      (...) So I'm thinking that the Coalporter's dramatic and unusual color schemes would be for easily identifying the rotary coupler end? Just a guess. -John (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Coal Car Question —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Sort of. When you look at a particular car, what you want to do is identify *what* unit train it belongs in... because in many cases the cars are owned by the utility company, or at least, are covered by a exclusive use contract. So you don't (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Coal Car Question —James Powell
    (...) Ah, you would be meaning: (URL) the Coal Unloader it be!) Note, I don't run the train through in one piece, but break it up. Depending on installation, the system varies. I doubt it is possible with the current lego parts available to build (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)