 Trains / 10748
Re: Coal Car Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Schuler writes:
This isn't really about LEGO, but it is about trains, so here goes:

On the trolley home from work tonight, we passed over a train with a long
series of empty coal cars.  Looking down into them, I noticed that they really
were empty--almost no loose lumps of coal or gravel, despite the irregular
shape of the container interior.  How are these cars emptied?  Does part of the
car--or the whole car--tip to dump its contents?

The car is rotated to empty it out. In the dusty archives of this group is a
link to a rotary tipper that someone built.

Note that in the prototype, often a cut of cars is rotated *in place*, that
is, while still coupled in the train. This requires that one of the coupler
shafts on each car swivel so the cars can remain coupled. Hence, sometimes
you will see lettering on the ends that say "rotary coupler end" to show
which end has it (you only need one end to have it if you keep the cars
aligned correctly and the small savings in capital cost apparently is enough
to offset the operational PITA to keep the car ends facing all the same way).

Cars with hopper bays still are in use, but as other posters point out, are
considered somewhat more troublesome. However if you don't have a rotary
dumper at your loadout site, you have to use these, so you sometimes will
see conventional hoppers in unit train service, not just roundbottoms like
J2's model.

++Lar