 Trains / 10743
  Coal Car Question

This isn't really about LEGO, but it is about trains, so here goes: On the trolley home from work tonight, we passed over a train with a long series of empty coal cars. Looking down into them, I noticed that they really were empty--almost no loose (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) Could be if it is a rotary dump coal car. I just happened to have posted an MOC of a rotary dump coal car, namely a BethGon Coalporter: (URL) it have half cylinders underneath, or look like the one in the photo? These cars are cool, and they (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

I Southern Estonian the have a rotary, where they grap the car and turn it upside down. I guess that will leave it very empty. Looks just likes Gods hand turning a hopper like we would do. Personally I am more into tipper cars (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) the (...) Some coal cars in the US are dumped by being picked up and turned over. The "doors in the bottom" dump concept does not work because the coal jams up. A problem with the dump method is that sometimes the coal be wet and will freeze (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) The car is rotated to empty it out. In the dusty archives of this group is a link to a rotary tipper that someone built. Note that in the prototype, often a cut of cars is rotated *in place*, that is, while still coupled in the train. This (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) I had no idea there were so many options! The rotary design seems like the right one. I wasn't able to take a long look, but I think the body of the car was essentially one piece, rather than having an independent rotating section or a bottom (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) So I'm thinking that the Coalporter's dramatic and unusual color schemes would be for easily identifying the rotary coupler end? Just a guess. -John (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) Sort of. When you look at a particular car, what you want to do is identify *what* unit train it belongs in... because in many cases the cars are owned by the utility company, or at least, are covered by a exclusive use contract. So you don't (...) (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Coal Car Question

(...) Ah, you would be meaning: (URL) the Coal Unloader it be!) Note, I don't run the train through in one piece, but break it up. Depending on installation, the system varies. I doubt it is possible with the current lego parts available to build (...) (23 years ago, 24-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)