 Trains / 10552
    Magnetic field activated switch —Sam Hastings
   Hi all, I want to make a magnetic field activated switch for my level crossing, that will activate when some sort of rolling stock comes near - it's annoying having to dive at the switch every time a train goes through - it could damage my very neat (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Jason J. Railton
     (...) I've got a better idea. Raise a length of track by a single plate, then leave two pieces completely unsupported. Just to one side of the join of these two, mount a microswitch under the track, or mount a Mindstorms touch switch vertically on (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Manfred Moolhuysen
     (...) Is it possible that the magnetic field generated from flux in the track current caused by the running train might trigger some false detections ? In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes: (...) I've been thinking of making a pneumatic weight (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Jason J. Railton
     (...) Exactly what part of a _plastic_ train are we hoping to detect here anyway? Are these things sensitive enough to detect the wheels and sparse metallic components of a train motor, encased in ABS, as it goes past? Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Allan J. Smith
     Jason J. Railton wrote in message ... (...) How about the magnetic coupler on the front of the loco and between the wagons. I have found that the coupler going past has enough strength to attract a magnet under the track. Allan J Smith (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Jason J. Railton
     (...) Good point! So, a simple reed switch on the sleeper should do the trick. The other thought I had was to isolate a short (30mm) section of one side of the track, and bridge over it with a wire to power up both sides. This isn't long enough a (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Magnetic field activated switch —Mario Ferrari
   (...) that (...) having (...) very (...) msg, (...) Hi Sam It's very easy to do, it's cheap and works perfectly well. Chris Phillips developed this technique, that's been widely explained and discussed in this thread: (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)