 Trains / 10563
Re: Magnetic field activated switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:45:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sam Hastings writes:
I want to make a magnetic field activated switch for my level crossing, that
will activate when some sort of rolling stock comes [snip]

Is it possible that the magnetic field generated from flux in the track
current caused by the running train might trigger some false detections ?

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
I've got a better idea.  Raise a length of track by a single plate, then
leave two pieces completely unsupported.  Just to one side of the join of
these two, mount a microswitch under the track, or mount a Mindstorms touch
switch vertically on the outside of the track. [snip]

I've been thinking of making a pneumatic weight detector, by looping some
very flexible tube under a sleeper, attach both ends to a T-piece and
joining the remaining end of the T-piece with a short length of Lego
Pneumatic tube to a small pneumatic cylinder, that triggers a Mindstorms
touch swich in turn.
This would eliminate the need to install a touch swich vertically. The
flexible tube could be the sort used on old faisioned dunlop bicycle tube
valves. My bicycle shop sells this tube in lenghts that are sufficiently large.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.