 Trains / 10561
Re: Magnetic field activated switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:17:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sam Hastings writes:
Hi all,
I want to make a magnetic field activated switch for my level crossing, that
will activate when some sort of rolling stock comes near - it's annoying
having to dive at the switch every time a train goes through - it could
damage my very neat little town!!! Any of you lot know how to do this, send reply 2 this msg, w/ details, btw, u can e-mail me w/ diagrams at
samjh@hotmail.com - Ta!
Sam Hastings

I've got a better idea.  Raise a length of track by a single plate, then
leave two pieces completely unsupported.  Just to one side of the join of
these two, mount a microswitch under the track, or mount a Mindstorms touch
switch vertically on the outside of the track.  The weight of a train will
cause the track to dip and trigger the switch.  For more sensitivity, raise
the track on foam instead of plates, or just raise one side of the track (or
the inside of a curve), with the switch on the opposite side.

Jason J Railton