 Trains / 10579
Re: Magnetic field activated switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Allan J. Smith writes:
Jason J. Railton wrote in message ...

Exactly what part of a _plastic_ train are we hoping to detect here anyway?

How about the magnetic coupler on the front of the loco and  between the
wagons.  I have found that the coupler going past has enough strength to
attract a magnet under the track.

Allan J Smith

Good point! So, a simple reed switch on the sleeper should do the trick.

The other thought I had was to isolate a short (30mm) section of one side of
the track, and bridge over it with a wire to power up both sides.  This
isn't long enough a break to stop a train motor, since it picks up power at
both ends.  But, you then wire up your contacts to the isolated section and
the rest of the rail, and the train motor closes this 'switch' by bridging
the isolation.

Unfortunately this only detects the motor, not any rolling stock, so it
would only trigger after a pushing train had gone past.  So yes, it's
probably easier to rely on the magnets.  Obviously.  Doh.

Jason J Railton