 Town / 7496
Re: New MOC: Grolsch Brewery Plant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 15:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Brok wrote:
In the netherlands, the Grolsch brewery, built a whole new brewery plant from
the ground up, to replace two existing plants elsewhere. On the premisses,
the buildings alone extend over 600 by 250 meters, and were designed by the
architect to be both functional and aesthetically pleasant.

The Dutch LEGO society De Bouwsteen was asked by Grolsch to built a LEGO
model of the plant, for exhibition to the many visitors of the plant.

<http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind/
<http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind/projects/grolsch/totaalmarc.jpg>>

This afternoon, the LEGO model was officially revealed to the public and
press. And as of now, the pictures of the model are published on
<http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind LEGO On my mind>.

Given the huge size of the protoype, building at minifig scale was not on
option. It would have required a model of about 20 meters. On the other hand,
the scale should be large enough to depict the seperate buildings with a
satisfactory likeness, for which the size of a 1x1 LEGO brick was ofcourse
the minimal resolution. So we chose a 1:100 scale, resulting in a still
humbling goal of realising a model over 6.4 x 2.7 m.

To be able to order parts in advance and make building instructions for
collaborative building, the full plant was first designed in LDraw/MLCAD,
which took several months.

The buildings and layout were built as a collaborative effort by our society
members. In changing shifts of 6-8 people, the layout was completed by about
35 people in about 12 building days.

If you understand Dutch, some project pictures are also on the site of
<http://www.debouwsteen.com De Bouwsteen> (Dutch).

Eric Brok
<http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind LEGO On my mind>

Impressive model. That's huge. That must have been quite the LDraw model too.
I'd hate to try rendering that one. :-)
It looks great, very true to scale.
Not meaning to railroad the thead, but my eye caught another thread on your
De Bouwsteen site:
http://www.debouwsteen.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=640
Anyone have any more info on these sets, 10156, 10157, & 10158?
Play well.

Tim Strutt