 Town / 1535
Re: Zoning LegoTown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:02:40 GMT

Chuck Rex <chuckrex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:G1M6s0.Bt2@lugnet.com...

So, I've built a Lego town, and looking at it now, I see that I zoned it
entirely wrong. Or, more appropriately, I failed to zone it in any way. • The
McDonald's is right next to an apartment building, the Shell station is in • the
middle of a housing area, the hospital and a bar are across the street • from
each other, the bank sits next to a warehouse, and the flower shop and the • gun
store are right next to each other, which might not be a zoning violation, • but
certainly is an interesting dichotomy.

I am in the process of ripping up baseplate and rebuilding everything, • simply
for the zoning aesthetic verisimilitude. I am taking this thing a little • too
far, but it makes me happy.

Actually, your town sounds pretty normal and the groupings of buildings seem
to make sense.  McDonalds would want to be close to where its customers live
so next door to an apartment would be a bonanza.  A gas station near homes
also makes sense (although stations are usually "on the corner").  The bank
could be located in an industrial area but a business district makes a
little more sense.  And the flower and gun shops are both businesses so they
naturally would be in a main market area.

For me, although I am building a "modern" town, I am trying to develope a
sense of how the town developed.  My main building (currently in the
construction phase) is the town hall (modeled after the main building of my
alma mater).  Around the town hall are businesses and older row houses.
Further out, I plan to build more residential areas including a housing
subdivision and a gas station.  There will also be a more modern business
district behind the town hall with high rise office buildings and
appartments/condos.  I have built in some "zoning" in my plans simply by
considering how the town "developed".

Tim