 Technic / Bionicle / 63
62  |  64
Subject:
Bionicle - Clues and questions about Mata Nui and the observatory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:17:37 GMT

WARNING - if you don't want any hints about exploring Mata Nui on
www.bionicle.com, in particular the observatory, don't read on!

OK, after spending a little while exploring the island of Mata Nui, and with
a little help from a few posts in this newsgroup, I think I figured some
stuff out.  I see how the different circular symbols can represent the
numbers 0 through 9 as follows:

0 = small dot and 0 radials
1 = small dot and 1 radial
2 = small dot and 2 radials
3 = small dot and 3 radials
4 = small dot and 4 radials
5 = small dot and 5 radials
6 = large dot and 0 radials
7 = large dot and 1 radial
8 = large dot and 2 radials
9 = large dot and 3 radials

I assume I am on the right track here.  Now each of the pictures on the base
of the observatory have 10 of the symbols below them, and the first picture
which depicts Tahu, whose domain we are in now, can be converted to the
number 0981054000.  And the next picture depicting Kopaka, whose domain we
are supposed to be entering next, can be converted to 0984682800.

Here are some more of my observations.  In the observatory, the symbols at
the bottom left are coordinates for your view.  When you enter, the top
number, the vertical or the scope's rise and fall coordinate starts at -500.
The bottom number, your rotational coordinate, starts at 0.  The red comet
in the 5 star constellation is centered at approximately coordinate -260,0.
The vertical coordinates go from +220 (which is straight up and down, or the
center of the sky straight overhead) and -500 (which is horizontal, or
looking at the sky right at the horizon), which gives a total range of 720
for a 90 degree swoop from vertical to horizontal.  The gage counts in 10's,
so there are actually only 72 possible positions.  The left to right or
rotational coordinates go from -177.9996 (approximately -180) to 180, giving
a range of 360 for the 360 degree full rotation.  The only two coordinates I
can get the gage to fall on exactly are 0 and 90.  The rest are shown to 6
decimal places.

As for the symbols at the top right, they are clocks counting in what looks
like seconds.  The top one is counting up at an accuracy of 1/1000 of a
second, and is currently showing a time of about 980 million seconds, which
if I calculated right is about year 31 if they have a 365 day year like us.
The bottom one is counting down, and is currently showing a time of about
3.1 million seconds, which is about 36 days.

Looking back at the symbols at the base of the observatory, Tahu's number is
approximately 980 million, very close to the number inside the observatory.
I hear this part of the site just started working a few days ago, which I
guess corresponds to the time on the clock for Tahu, whose domain we are in.
The difference between Tahu and Kopaka is 3628800 seconds, or 42 days
exactly.  The difference between Kopaka and Gali is exactly 61 days.  The
previous picture depicts that open capsule on the beach, which I assume I
have arrived in, floating sealed on the water, as well as a picture of the
rock formation at the top of the stairs that shows you the movie of Mata Nui
and Makuta.  The difference between Tahu and that previous picture is 31
days and 14 hours prior.  The difference between the capsule picture and the
one before it, which I assume depicts the end of the story (or at least this
installment and this group of characters if it turns out to be a moneymaker)
is exactly 327 days.  I guess this is the length of the story that will be
told on the site, and the number of days we will have to wait for the whole
story to be played out.  I guess the countdown timer shows how long it will
be before the next event occurs and we can explore the next area.  So now I
can look at the pictures at the base of the observatory and get a glimpse at
when and what is going to happen.

What is the significance of the red comet and the constellation, and the
purpose of the observatory itself?  And what about the circle with the wedge
at the bottom right in the observatory?

David