 Technic / Bionicle / 338
337  |  339
Subject:
Review of DC Bionicle #1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:47:30 GMT

It arrived today,issue 1 of DC's Bionicle series.Here's my review:

SPOILER WARNING: The review contains spoilers for issue 1. Stop reading if
you don't want it ruined.

The issue begins with Kopaka narrating ("I have slept for so long. My dreams
have been dark ones").
Kopaka makes his way to Mata Nui's ice region. On the way,he meets up with
an ice Tohunga,Matoro. Matoro informs Kopaka that Mata Nui has been awaiting
his and the others arrival. Kopaka comments that what he is being told is
similar to his dreams. Matoro says that his village's Turaga priest will
give Kopaka the information he needs to continue his quest, So the 2
continue on to the village. On the way, they are attacked by a Nui-Rama,one
of Makuta's giant fly-like minions. Matoro is sent flying, but Kopaka saves
him. They finally make it to the village and meet with Nuju,the Turaga. He
tells the Toa a short interpretation of how Makuta brought evil and that
Kopaka has great power...but not enough to beat Makuta alone.
Kopaka leaves and continues up the mountain. Half way up,he encounters an
avalanche of rocks. Riding the rocks is a brown Toa,Pohatu. He appoligises
and offers to help remove Kopaka from under the rocks. The ice Toa says he
needs to help and quickly escapes using his sword. He then continues climbing.
Pohatu follows and suggests they team up,since it seems they are on the
island for the same thing. Kopaka states that he wroks alone. Pohatu asks if
that's by choice or because no one can stand him. Kopaka grudgingly gives in.
Upon reaching the top of the mountain, Kopaka finds a white Mask Of
Shielding. It merges with his Mask Of Vision,giving him both mask's power.
The issue ends with Kopaka and Pohatu finding the other Toa and asking if
they are friend or foe.

Storyline: Good. This will be a 3 part series and this is a good start. I
was suprised that they started with Kopaka. I expected them to start with Tahu.

Chracters:
Kopka-Very good. This was how I imagine he would act, a loner who prefers to
work by himself.They didn't kiddy-ify him  .

Matoro- His character was your typical Tohunga, completly unable to defend
himself  Hopefully they will introduce more warrior Tohunga, like Jala  .

Nuju-He was only in it for 2 pages and didn't play a major role. He gives a
VERY short introduction to Makuta, tells Kopaka where to find his next mask,
then is gone.

Pohatu- Very good. He was like a polite Han Solo. Unfortunatly, his part was
minor.

Drawing: Very good. The best page is the one with Kopaka emerging from his
canister. I was afraid that it would be drawn like the small comics that
came with the Throwbots, but Lego decided to get proffesionals to draw it.

That's all,hope you liked my review