 Technic / Bionicle / 273
    I just don't get it. —Rose Regner
   I just don't get the big deal with Bionicle. Can someone enlighten me? I don't see the difference between robo riders, throw bots or Bionicle. I just view it as another set that my son will have to pay for with his allowance. Rose (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

        Re: I just don't get it. —Benjamin Medinets
     (...) I think the only difference between Bionicle and the other mentioned "subthemes" (robo riders, throwbots) is that LEGO is really trying to market it (Bionicle) with a nice story line and a decent, high tech (some would say flashy; others would (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

        Re: I just don't get it. —Todd Lehman
   (...) How about the flipside to that? :-) If it turns out to be something your son is willing and able to buy with his allowance, could Bionicle be a big win for LEGO? (Not defending Bionicle or its cartoon violence, just trying to understand it and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

        Re: I just don't get it. —Rose Regner
   If he is buying a building toy then his allowance money will be spent on the sets, when they are on sale. If the idea is too buy these masks and subsequently cards then forget it. I will have a long discussion about how the marketing people are just (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)

        Re: I just don't get it. —Tomas Clark
   Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like what offends you about Bionicle is mostly with the collectible aspect. However, that aspect of Bionicle is limited to two products AFAIK -- the mask packs and the card game. Speaking as an AFOL who does (...) (23 years ago, 19-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic.bionicle)