 Technic / Bionicle / 281
Re: I just don't get it.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:06:45 GMT

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like what offends you about Bionicle
is mostly with the collectible aspect. However, that aspect of Bionicle is
limited to two products AFAIK -- the mask packs and the card game. Speaking as
an AFOL who does have to buy his own sets for playing with at home, I don't
plan on buying mask packs, although I don't know enough about the card game yet
to decide. I'm not really the collector type. But I do plan on making Bionicle
MOCs, some of which are already in progress.

The fact that you can make MOCs with Bionicle parts, and along Bionicle theme
lines, says to me that it is a building toy in a limited way. Of course it
doesn't have the same endless possibilities as a pile of 1x4s, but I've seen a
bunch of people make funky creatures using Bionicle as a jumping-off point. The
ball-and-socket arms/legs, claws, etc are all good for this. Of course, not
everyone is into making custom creatures with premade limbs and joints, which
is fine. On the upside, the connections and moving parts are all pure Technic,
making it easy to integrate with other stuff (I am working on a RCX
Bionicle-style creation, as I mentioned before). And quite possibly, these
kinds of pieces could serve as a jumping point for a kid who's into action
figures to become interested in more complicated Technic creations.

Bionicle does have a lot of marketing, and a complicated backstory, and some
collectible products. So the building aspect might get lost in all that, but it
is there. It may become a little clearer as future sets come out, like the
larger creatures, which use the limb-pieces and masks in different ways, and
have more Technic actions.

Tomas Clark
tclark@halfrobot.com

(Disclaimer: I am a LEGO Direct employee but these opinions are not official
LEGO information and do not necessarily represent the opinions of LEGO Direct.
They're my opinions based on having played with the sets; I wouldn't bother to
post my personal opinions of a set that I didn't find interesting. I am not
directly involved in Bionicle marketing, please do not confuse my opinions with
official marketing goals.)

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Rose Regner writes:
If he is buying a building toy then his allowance money will be spent on the
sets, when they are on sale. If the idea is too buy these masks and
subsequently cards then forget it. I will have a long discussion about how
the marketing people are just trying to get his money and that there is no
value to the product.

Rose