 Technic / Bionicle / 2346
Re: Neptune's Moon Lagoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:34:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   Damn, I typed a big reply and then my browser crashed.

Could be worse. I’ve gotten so used to posting in forums that I sometimes close the window after only hitting the Preview button.

   Those police tiles get everywhere. Windsor did have the little gems in trans yellow, red, green and purple.

Ah, that would probably explain why someone in Wisconsin had such huge quantities of gems, and all but one flavor (I think the clear one was absent).

   They fill up the gaps nicely, and you can mount them along technic beams for fairground lights.

I came up with a couple of interesting uses for them in my next Moonbase module, and I used a pair of trans-light blue ones w/ big bubbles in the middle for the eyes on Kiki, the ferret from Sluggy Freelance.

   I don’t know about mixing them, but switching over to transparent some way out from the shore might work.

Well, you can certainly see the dramatic difference in color tone on my module.

   I did try using a dark patch amongst the tan in one section, with little black dots to be sea urchins or something. It works quite well, but you’re right about reducing the number of colour variations. I need to see what works well, then get more of those specific colours.

There’s even a turtle (off to the left of this picture) under the surface. She’s done in black on tan.

You don’t have any shots of that one, do you?

   Huw’s camera here has picked up very vivid colours (‘hues’ - hoho, you see, oh, never mind...), which is great for most of the Lego, but it has exagerated what you can see below the tiles. In person, I can’t see as much as this picture shows.

Digital? Mine does really funky things to green, as demonstrated by the dead look of the palm fronds (they’re actually bright grean like the Green Goblin body).

   The thing is, just like when standing next to a real body of water, 99% of people won’t even try to look below the surface. And you can only really make these shapes out by looking straight down. I could lighten the area around the objects of interest with white, but I think that would be over-doing it.

Sometimes it’s nice to have hidden details to reward the people who actually take the time to really look at stuff instead of walking up, saying “wow, that’s cool”, and walking away.

   Maybe a single layer of trans-blue plates, then tiles, on top of a blue baseplate would look good enough. You could use black plates below the ship for shadow, and tan plates close to the shore.

Well, maybe not tan, depending on what type of shoreline you have. Jason Spears has a huge white citadel on a dark-grey rocky island , and tan would look a bit odd around that (though, granted, there’s not really a beach, per se).

   Since bricks are mostly hollow, they wouldn’t offer much more colour than using another layer of plates.

There will be a difference between using 3x plate or 1x brick layers, though you probably won’t be able to see the difference with darker colors unless you aim an extremely bright light down on them. My guess is the bricks should allow some of the base color to bleed through, while the plates will filter a lot more of it out.

   If you did want to make it a few bricks deep though, you could try adding trans light blue below the surface for sunlight effects in the water, or even blinking lights at the very bottom.

That’s a bit overly ambitious, unless you’re not planning to keep it 100% LEGO-pure.

   I seem to recall it was still there when it sank. Maybe you’re thinking of the cheesy fourth one, where the bow gets snapped off then they stab the shark with it. I don’t normally admit to having seen ‘Jaws: The revenge’ though!

I know I’ve seen all of the first movie once through, and the second half of it probably twice more. I also remember watching a sequel set in the same town, but I know I haven’t seen all of them. I still remember seeing the harpooner’s nest get ripped off the bow, though. Not the whole bow, mind you, just the nest. Maybe I’m getting it mixed up with Waterworld...

   Several kids notice that the guy in the back has a deck of cards laid out in front of him (a printed Wild West tile), so a few adults notice the boat too.

It’s been so long since I saw the first half, that I can’t even remember any deck of cards.

   I’ve had a small fin before in a river, going for a fisherman’s line. The minifig shark here was supplied by someone else on the day of the display. I was going to do one underwater, but didn’t have the width alongside the boat. A fin, and maybe part of the back, would be a good way of drawing attention to the underwater patterns though. Perhaps a 3x3 wedge, if I can find one in dark grey. I may do a diorama at some point actually...

You mean the 3x3 plate w/ corner missing? I was thinking more along the lines of a 1x3 33 slope on top of a 1x2 45 slope and an inverted 1x2 45 slope, but that might be too thick. Leaving part of the back exposed around the fin would help prevent the plates from splitting if you wedge a fin plate between the studs.