 Technic / Bionicle / 2335
Re: Neptune's Moon Lagoon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:31:08 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Jason J. Railton wrote:
I quite like the water effect these tiles give.

As I said, they didn't work out quite how I'd hoped, but it works well enough
that the intent is instantly recognizable.  And if located on the edge of a
display, it can result in a self-replenishing "foam" effect, courtesy of jealous
club-members.  ;P  Nah, just kidding.  It did get a lot of "wow, look at all the
trans-blue" remarks, but I kept pointing out that I got them cheap on Bricklink
from a store that had a ton of them.

They've been available from the pick-a-prick selection in Legoland Windsor for a
while now.  They're fairly good value for filling up a cupful, if you have a use
for them.

This photograph seems to have picked up the underlying colours a bit too
clearly.  In reality, you can use pretty much any colour you like under the
tiles and it will appear blue.

It'd be a lot more expensive, but I suspect the result might be considerably
improved if you switch to other transparent colors underneath the trans-blue
tiles.

Maybe another layer, although I'm working to a flat base here so I wanted to
minimise the height.

If you use blue plates, the effect is very deep water.

It looks more like an medium depth equatorial water to me.  Like what you'd find
in the Carribean.  Trans-dark blue over trans-dark blue gives a much more
accurate temperate water color, like you'd find in the Great Lakes.  Black would
probably look best for Arctic water

Okay, maybe not that deep.  I was going for a Mediterranean coastal look here,
anyway.

Tan and light grey look shallower, like up to a beach or shingle.  Greens
will add a tint of colour. Red and black make for good shadows.  Gradual
changes are harder, and require experimentation with orange, yellow, teal if
you have it.

Yeah, in small scale like this, you're dealing with a direct color shift between
two plates.  If you work it in a much larger scale, you have the benefit of
using varied pixelation to blend two colors together.

Dark colors would be easier to blend together, not only because there is a wide
variety of them, but because darker non-blue colors will read much differently
through trans-blue, so dark-red looks only slightly less dark than black.

I didn't have much time to experiment when putting this together, but I'll try a
few more variations in future.

What I love about it is you can make black shapes on the bottom, and just
like in real water you can only see them by looking straight down - at an
angle, you just get blue and reflections.  Every angle you look at it, it's
different.

They don't look significantly different to my eye, but are those 1x6 raised
strips supposed to be breakers?

I did try raising some 1-wide strips to make the surface less even.  I'm not
sure it was very effective though.  I think these might be done better by
layering transparent plates as you suggested, and maybe leaving some studs on
the surface.

Here's the same boat, from a different angle:

Hey, that's the boat from Jaws, isn't it?

Finally!  It's a minifig version, so it's not entirely to scale.  It does have
the yellow barrels, pack of cards and a radio to smash up though.

Jason Railton