 Technic / Bionicle / 2196
Re: BioniWars: TOA Fighter Pilot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 05:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Andrew Saada writes:
I think my favorite is the TOA Fighter Pilot--the control console and the
tubes are excellent

     You should like the next one then...

--and the SandTOAper--the form is great and the viewfinder and rifle are >excellent and really add to the character!

     You mean the macrobinocs?  Someone requested a view of the BatToa Droid
gun when I first posted that, and I think I'll do a follow-up article on
Monday with nice profile shots of all the guns and such.

I like the first Jango better (you even gave him a wrist rocket launcher!)

     Don't forget the flamethrower on the other wrist, but yeah, I'm a big
Fett fan, so I went all-out on his design.  You'll understand that a bit
more soon...

and you nailed the head-stuck-between-the-shoulders on the Super BatTOA Droid.

     You would not believe how frustrating that was.  This is a serious case
of form over function, as the mask, the head, and the chest armor are all
barely attached, and the armored hump on the back had to be squeezed a bit
to fit between the shoulder blades.  It was worth it though.  I'd held the
Huna and chest armor together and realized how similar it looked to the SBD
head, and I never would have been satisfied with anything that left a gap
between them.

Kudos for allowing the movable 3rd leg...i did not quite follow the steps you >gave, but then again I'm not up to par on Bionicle parts.

     There's not much to it.  There's a four-sided gear-box (open on top and
front) built into the top of the Toa torso that allows the fat 12-tooth
gears to interact at 90 degree angles.  The large gear on the back turns the
center gear inside the gear-box.  Some Toa have one geared arm that swings
when you turn the gear, and some have twin geared arms that both swing in
opposite directions when you turn the gear.  I needed them to both swing in
the same direction, so I connected both legs together through the center and
geared just the right one.  The left leg then mirrors the movement of the
right leg.  There's another 12-tooth gear mounted directly below the
20-tooth gear on the back, but this 12-tooth doesn't turn.  It does, however
line up just right so it locks the rotation of the 20-tooth gear, which in
turn prevents movement of the two side legs.  After that the only thing left
is to plug the third leg into a specially attached socket built into the
bottom of the torso.

Alright, keep it up!  Bruce is right in that you should post these over at
fbtb.net (he already has highlighted a couple in the SW MOCs forum).  You
also might be entitled to a showcased gallery for your creative creations
(if you continue this, like Stuart Immonen recently attained).

     I suppose it would make a certain amount of sense to throw my BioniWars
MOCs in with a large collection of other Star Wars MOCs, but I've actually
got all the webspace I want available free of charge, and I'd like to
generate as much new traffic for MoD as I can.  I'm not saying it couldn't
happen, but it's not likely.