 Technic / Bionicle / 2192
Re: BioniWars: TOA Fighter Pilot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 03:04:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
I agree with Tim.  I haven't responded to any of the individual MOCs, but I'm
really enjoying this series.

     I'm sure the local TRU is also enjoying them, as they're the only place
in town that still has the original Kopaka in stock, and I've had to buy ten
more just for this series alone (along with about six other regular Toa).

Great work, and I'm usually not a fan of Bionicle.

     I figured I'd get a few responses like that.  For the record, I don't
expect everyone to like the characters or story, and I don't expect everyone
to start collecting, but I do have a strong desire to see people switch from
Bionicle-bashing to at least admitting that the parts aren't useless hunks
of plastic.  I figure the best way to do that is to show some of the
possibilities.

I think my favorites are Jango and the Super Battle Droid, with Vader coming >close behind.

     You'll probably really like some of the upcoming characters...

I rather dislike the Qui Gon Jinn - basically it comes off as one of the >cheap Bionicle sets holding a lightsaber.

     He's something of a throw-away MOC in that the _only_ reason I made him
was to have a companion piece to the Darth Mator MOC that I posted on the
day AOTC opened.  Well, that and the fact that I had a spare Huki sitting
around.  I happen to like the original Matoran design, though, and I've done
a lot of work with them.  I didn't expect him to be anywhere near as popular
as the others, but I wanted to fill out the group enough to make a two-week
series.

Also R2-D2's head doesn't quite work for me.

     To quote my article teaser from the MoD front page:

"What can I say about this one except that I'm sorry? Very, very sorry. I
apologize to George Lucas. I apologize to Kenny Baker. I apologize to the
people who designed the original R2-D2. I apologize to those of you who are
viewing this right now. Words alone cannot express how sorry I am. But what
the heck, you're here, so why not abuse your eyes a little, huh?"

     It would have been possible for me to build a more accurate head
(though maybe not with the parts I had on hand), but I have a demented sense
of humor, and I simply could not resist.

But all of the others are flawless.

     I wouldn't say that.  The BatToa Droid is taller than everyone but
Darth Vatoa, the SBD has lots of silver and grey parts, and I very much want
a more appropriate Kanohi shape for the CloneToaper (that was a case of me
building the gun first, and not being willing to leave it unused).

BTW, You really should post on these over on fbtb.net as well as here at >Lugnet.

     If you'd like to do so yourself, go right ahead.  I, on the other hand,
run a website that gets about as much traffic as FBTB does, but with a much
smaller staff.  I respect Tim's work and I read FBTB every day, but I'm in
free time debt as it is, so I can't afford to get involved in his Forum.

Tim, you should consider featuring these in Bricks Magazine.  These are really
Bionicle MOCs that the often Bionicle-averse AFOL community would really
appreciate.

     If you think these are good, you should check out some of my earlier MOCs:

The Dragon of Fire (the first of eleven planned L5R-inspired dragons):
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=8102

The Nui-Kapowai dragonfly:
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=9915

The Noaoke Bohrok:
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=8020

The BioCycles:
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=9726
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=10045

And, um, Yuhlok (the first of three planned...you'll just have to see for
yourself):
http://www.maskofdestiny.com/article.asp?i=10878

     Regardless, if Tim is interested in maybe putting something in, I'm
willing to discuss it with him.