 Technic / 9652
Re: 8854 Power Crane: Disappointing. Terrible winch movement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 00:28:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stéphane Simard writes:
Hi all,

[snip]

8854 however definitely requires me to lift the ratchet AND turn the pulley
wheel to make the hook descend. No matter how I arrange the main winch axle,
it simply generates too much friction. Also, the fact that there is also
even more friction from the rope with its support hole (below the arm)
doesn't help.

Comments and suggestion would be appreciated. Is the 8854 simply doomed with
poor design? (which would explain why people praise 8460/8431 so much)

Hi Stephane,

Several sets use this technique on the winch, you can wind up without
unlatching, but you must un-latch to un-wind. It's just another way of making
sure the winch doesn't unwind when you let go! Two sets I've seen recently that
use this method are http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8462 and
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8280 although the 8280 does allow you to flip the
latch right over, allowing you to unwind freely.

ROSCO