 Technic / 9646
9645  |  9647
Subject:
8854 Power Crane: Disappointing. Terrible winch movement!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:54:14 GMT

Hi all,

I just built my 8854 power crane. Bought it used, although all the parts
were perfect.

Now, of course I'm gonna compare it to 8431 since it's the first technic
crane I ever built. If you build it properly, 8431's winch is extremely
smooth, with little or no friction, and the hook descents quickly as soon as
you lift the ratchet.

8854 however definitely requires me to lift the ratchet AND turn the pulley
wheel to make the hook descend. No matter how I arrange the main winch axle,
it simply generates too much friction. Also, the fact that there is also
even more friction from the rope with its support hole (below the arm)
doesn't help.

Comments and suggestion would be appreciated. Is the 8854 simply doomed with
poor design? (which would explain why people praise 8460/8431 so much)

Thanks in advance,

Stephane