 Technic / 905
Re: where to find discontinued sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:47:52 GMT

"Ari M. Weinstein" <ariw@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:FoM27E.3tv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Ryan Hagan writes:

SNIP
I've been looking all over the net trying to find discontinued Lego • Technic
sets without much luck.
SNIP

Ryan, you can find some discontinued Technic sets on eBay. Just do a • search for
'Lego Technic', or 'Lego' and the model number. Upon checking Auction • Watch it
appears that eBay has the most Lego Technic listings, usually a couple of
pages. Bidding appears to be active, driving up prices, and as I'm a • relative
Lego newbie, I don't know if the prices are competitive. As always when
shopping eBay, all the usual buyer beware advisories apply.

Anyone care to comment on their experience buying Lego through online
auctions?

I have bought many Technic sets through ebay.  Genrally, I have had
excellent
experiences.  I try to buy through the reputable sellers (one's with lots of
good feedback), but I have bought through many sellers who were just
starting
out or only had one or two positives (bu tno negatives, of course).  I've
also been able to deal with some people who have no feedback by getting them
to send me the packages first (essentially like C.O.D), so it helps to have
a good reputation as a buyer.

Also, most everything I've bought has met the advertised condition.
However,
I try to limit myself to MISB sets.  This is pricey, but takes makes the
'set conditon factor' moot.  YMMV if you buy MIB or 'lesser' condition
items.

I must say though that without ebay, I would not be nearly as Technic
complete as I am (I'm complete back to 1985, and about half complete from
there back to 77).  In the early days of RTL, you could find alot of stuff
there cheaper than ebay.  But now, most everyone uses ebay, particularly
for the larger more costly items.

One bad thing about ebay:  If you search using "Lego 8*" it brings back
all Lego lots, as if you had typed "Lego *".  This is an annoying bug, and
it did not always used to be like this.  Oh well.

How are prices?

As a rule, very high.  I have paid $280 for an MISB 8868, $200 for an MISB
8680, and $340 for an MISB 8859 (but that was cheaper than the one Matt
Chiles had for some $600 a year or two ago :)  And I have bid on an 8851
MISB (kinda -- the bags are sealed at least, which is close enough)
currently, for $255.

However, there are some deals on ebay.  You just have to be persistent
and thorough in your searching.

Are there other online Lego swap/trade sites you would
recommend (other than this one)? TI

I haven't tried any commercial auctions other than ebay.  This "Auction
Watch" you mention above sounds intriguing.