 Technic / 8644
Re: 8480 Space Shuttle Optic Fiber module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:29:01 GMT

Well, after further feedling with the pulley and battery case, it nows runs
at a respectable 2 rotations per second.

That is about the speed I have always gotten with it. I think the FOS light
module itself has a tad too much friction in it. If it is manually operated
(as in 8456) it works fine, but when motorized it goes a bit slow, and the
fact that so many rubber belts are used doesn't help.

The main other design flaws I noticed in this set is that the bay doors open
somewhat jerkily, the satellite wing mechanism needs some work (too slow and
wings are able to move around freely a bit) and the wing flap/landing gear
switches could have been better positioned, but these things would probably
have been very difficult to fix given the space restrictions.

Regardless of these things though, this is still my all time second favorite
Technic set. :)

-Gaurav