 Technic / 8235
Re: Shock Absorbers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:50:37 GMT

Instead of adding more shocks,  how about adding more suspension arm?  There's
a type which I *think* is called "walking beam",  where the lower arm goes most
of the way across the vehicle.  The chassis attachment for the left lower arm
is about where the pivot for the right wheel would be in a parallel-arm setup,
and vice-versa.

Suspension arms? Do you mean something like the Silver Champion system? (see
below)

You could also experiment with a linkage, having the shocks elsewhere in the
chassis like in the silver champ. This may reduce the space requirement
around the steering area.

This was also something I had in mind; the only problem with this is that I
think it puts a lot of stress on the linking arm piece, so I would need
several of the arms to even out the pressure. Although this is something
worth considering, since as you said it allows for placing the shocks out of
the steering area altogether.

One other option is to have the entire front lower section placed on shock
absorbers so that the wheel connectors, steering rack, differentials, etc.
are all on the "suspended" part. (I think this is done on some monster
trucks and other off-road vehicles in real life) A similar thing could be
done with the rear wheels. Space would be much less of a problem here as far
as the shock absorbers go, since the entire area between the wheels is
available and the shocks can pretty much go anywhere there, but the whole
unit would be somewhat bulkier than the conventional system. Worth trying
out, though. ;)

For the moment I'm going to just try and lessen the weight slightly by using
less beams in the inner-middle section (where most of the actual mechanisms
are), as the last version was pretty heavily packed with beams. This time I
am also putting the battery box in the far rear area, just behind the
rearmost wheels, so that would also considerably even out the weight over
the wheels. (the old version had two battery boxes for weight distribution
reasons, but their load was still more on the front wheels) Perhaps even the
old arragement will work this time. Anyway, I will see how it goes.

-Gaurav