 Technic / 8132
Re: Chassis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:11:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gordon Bentley writes:
Does anyone have any photos of Technic vehicles with solid axles front and
rear? I have been working on one for the last couple of weeks and was after
some more inspiration. I am using the newer construction style like the F1
racer, OffRoader, etc.

So far I have the following functions.

Solid front axle with 4 bar suspension and panhard rod. Axle mounted rack
and pinion steering. Front wheels have over 3 Lego units travel and 40
degrees of lock.

Solid rear axle (differential) with 4 bar, Watt's linkage and anti-roll bar.
Rear wheels have over 4 units travel.

Neither axle uses any "special" parts.

V8 engine with supercharger, chain driven overhead camshafts, belt driven
supercharger including gear drive for second shaft and idler pulley,
distributor driven from the rear of one camshaft, and, exhaust headers with
equal tube lengths and collector.

Any ideas for more functions or photos of similar vehicles would be
appreciated. I don't think I'll put a gearbox in as space is tight and I
want to hide a couple of gear motors in that area.

Sounds really impressive Gordon!  Lots of functions, and seems like
you're modelling the car on actual automotive suspension designs.
Awesome details on the engine.  I'm sure we would all love to see some
pictures, or maybe LDRAW models.  I'm wondering how you did the anti-roll
bar.... are you simply relying on axle twist?

I've been working on/off over the last year on a similar vehicle.
The design is based on a Jeep TJ/YJ, and uses the 8466 tires.

Live axles, 4-bar linkage, Panhard rod, with worm gears driving the diffs
directly.  This is a nice way to get the gear reduction required to drive
those huge tire.  It's got recirculating-ball type steering, mounted
on the chassis, and uses a pitman arm to drive a diagonal track rod which
connects to the wheels. Check out recirculating-ball steering at
http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering3.htm

Like yourself, I've tried to stick to non-brick construction techniques
and use the new studless beams and liftarms as much as possible.
Engine is an inline 6, transmission is a 4 speed, with lockable center
diff, and 2 speed tranfer case.  I may insert a lockable rear diff as well.
4 wheel drive of course. I may motorize it, but I am not sure.  Of course if I
get my hands on the 8475 R/C car, I will HAVE no choice but to motorize it!
BTW, the tranmission is made up of only 5 bricks... the rest are axles and
perpendicular axle joiners.

The model is not complete... the front suspension/steering/drive is done,
the chassis is about 60% done, the transmission is done, but is not mounted in
the chassis yet.  I will post some pics tonight on brickshelf.

Build well!

John