 Technic / 8100
Re: Pneumatic tubes capabilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:29:27 GMT

"Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
news:H21B7s.FzE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Pedro Silva writes:
I have recently developed a pneumatic gizmo to remotely act on my train
track points, which is working quite nicely. The thing is, I don't know • *how
far apart* can I place the compressor so that the loss of charge in the
tubes isn't too big. Has anyone tested this?

From my experience, you can have really long tubes (10~20 feet, or more) • and
not have significant losses due to friction. What you should be concerned
with is the volume of the tubes.

Basically, if you have a lot of long tubes, your system will behave as if • it
has an airtank. However, if you keep your system charged, this shouldn't • be
a problem. With your system fully pressurized, the operation of the • cylinder
should be instantaneous with the switch.

If you're operating one cylinder infrequently, the system should have • plenty
of time to charge back up, and you'll never have a delay in operation.

Hmm...  When the valve is switched in one direction, one tube
to the cylinder gets air pressure from the tank, but the other tube
is vented to the outside air.  When you switch in the opposite
direction, won't this (previously vented) tube need to be
pressurized before it will start moving the cylinder?  I'd expect
some (possibly minor) delay because of this. I don't have 20
feet of tubing, otherwise I'd check for myself.

Mark