 Technic / 8099
Re: Pneumatic tubes capabilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:19:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Pedro Silva writes:
I have recently developed a pneumatic gizmo to remotely act on my train
track points, which is working quite nicely. The thing is, I don't know *how
far apart* can I place the compressor so that the loss of charge in the
tubes isn't too big. Has anyone tested this?

From my experience, you can have really long tubes (10~20 feet, or more) and
not have significant losses due to friction. What you should be concerned
with is the volume of the tubes.

In a way, that was what I meant: since the tubes are made of rubber, they
are somewhat elastic (thus they can increase their volume significantly if
they are long enough).

Basically, if you have a lot of long tubes, your system will behave as if it
has an airtank. However, if you keep your system charged, this shouldn't be
a problem. With your system fully pressurized, the operation of the cylinder
should be instantaneous with the switch.

Ok, I guess I got it: it can work, but it must be always "on", either to one
side or the other.
Now a second question: one single compressor, equipped with one of the old
9V motors (high speed, low torque), can handle just how many cylinders *very
far apart*?
(just as an exercise, suppose 12 cyls, app 5 m apart each from the compressor)

If you're operating one cylinder infrequently, the system should have plenty
of time to charge back up, and you'll never have a delay in operation.

That was my hope. I think my idea can work, I just need to know how many
compressors to place.

Thanks Thomas!

Pedro