 Technic / 791
Re: Part functionality questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:14:31 GMT

Ben Jackson <ben@ben.com> wrote in message news:Fo96Lz.Htx@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Alex Wetmore writes:

This gear is also very useful for making multispeed transmissions.  The • 8880
Supercar and 8480 Space Shuttle both use them this way.  Before buying
either set I had played with making 2sp transmissions using this gear as
well.

What gear ratios does the Shuttle use?  I guess there's main engines WITH • SRBs
and main engines alone.  And after MECO you've got maneuvering jets...

"Ahhh, Discovery Houston, we can't get the main engines into gear.  Is • this a
standard H?  Over."

"Roger that, Discovery, and don't ride the clutch."

--Ben

LOL..:-)

Actually, multi speed transmission mechanisms are basically mechanism that
transforms the motion to a shaft or another, so a mechanism similar to 8880
Super Car transmission is used in space Shuttle for achieving multiple
functions in an order like opening the bay doors, moving/rotating the winch
and rotating the fiber optic lights. A similar (in principle and parts used)
but simple mechanism also used in Barcode Truck to alternate the programmed
actions from dumping to moving front arms.

Selçuk