 Technic / 778
Re: Part functionality questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:27:54 GMT

"Ben Jackson" <ben@ben.com> wrote in message news:Fo8Iqz.1uC@lugnet.com...
2) The technics gears service pack includes a dark grey 16T gear with a • smooth
ID (rotates on an axle) and a very small ridge of teeth on the top of the • gear
around the axle hole. What parts can mesh with the top ridge of teeth • other
than another gear of the same type?

[snip]

LEGO tends to use that dark gray gear as an idler to connect a • differential.
The best use I've ever seen of it is to drive a second clock hand (one of • the
aforementioned plates).  With a toothed bushing you can lock it to an axle • and
it's a regular (but thicker and dark gray) 16t gear.

This gear is also very useful for making multispeed transmissions.  The 8880
Supercar and 8480 Space Shuttle both use them this way.  Before buying
either set I had played with making 2sp transmissions using this gear as
well.

alex