 Technic / 777
Re: Part functionality questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gavin Price writes:
1) The technics cyber challenge "shooter" parts (the spring loaded cylinders
which shoot the rubber tipped missiles), when purchased as a service pack,
come with 8 rubber bands. What are these for? I don't see any application with
the shooter.

If it's a service pack for the cyber challenge sets, then the rubber bands
would be to replace all the rubber bands in the sets themselves.  LEGO sure has
gotten generous with those recently.  Why, when *I* was a boy you were lucky to
get one good pulley rubber band in your life, and you cherished it, and you
cried when it wore out.  These days you get tons of them in various diameters.
I laughed outloud at the TWO giant packs of rubber bands that came with my 8002
Destroyer Droid.  At least 40 rubber bands total.

2) The technics gears service pack includes a dark grey 16T gear with a smooth
ID (rotates on an axle) and a very small ridge of teeth on the top of the gear
around the axle hole. What parts can mesh with the top ridge of teeth other
than another gear of the same type?

Small pulleys used to have those teeth along one edge (the ones you use as
bushings).  They were part of a whole system of parts with those teeth,
including some 1x6 plates with rounded ends with holes (and teeth on the
bottom) and some right angle connectors which were used to make bent axle
connectors (which have been turned into single pieces available in a wide range
of colors now).

LEGO tends to use that dark gray gear as an idler to connect a differential.
The best use I've ever seen of it is to drive a second clock hand (one of the
aforementioned plates).  With a toothed bushing you can lock it to an axle and
it's a regular (but thicker and dark gray) 16t gear.

--Ben