 Technic / 7781
Re: Legal connection combinations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:50:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Arnon writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
<snip>
I've often wondered about this myself. I suppose you wouldn't find that type
of fit in any official Lego-produced creation. But it is all 100% Lego, so I
say it's Good!

-TJ
<snip>

Once reading that I was sure I encountered "illegal" connections in many
official sets, but I couldn't remember any specific example.
After some thinking I came up only with:

Before the introduction of <part:32002> a common practice was to insert the
"wrong" end of <part:4274> into a technic hole.
As in:
<http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8460/8460-009.html>
And many other places.

I didn't do the exact math, but I suspect the connection of the tail at six
points is not likely to be in perfect Lego geometry:
<http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8485/8485-050.html>

Pretty lame, I'm sure there are much better examples. Anyone?

I seem to remember they've inserted studs into technic holes before, which
is a bit sus - can't find an example though.

Also squeezing a plate between 2 rows of studs to get a 90 deg angle.

Both of these are "close enough" but if left for long periods may well cause
the pieces to deform slightly...

ROSCO