 Technic / 7747
Re: Legal connection combinations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 04:19:08 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
I've just copied T.J's excellent method of connecting two pneumatic
cylinders back to back.

Thanks. And that link would be???

http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/cyl/

Okay!

This involves using two outer brace peices 4 units
long and a central, four plate high 2x2 block. The block seperates the
cylinders and gives rigidity to the construct. The connection is absolutely
rigid, normal non black-peg connections are a bit loose. This indicates to
me that stress is being applied to the grey pegs. This stress is not found
when using normal consruction methods so I was wondering if this solution
can be consdidered 'legal'. In my opinion this solution works so well that I
think it is legal, so my question is, how far can you stress parts before
their connections are deemed 'illegal' or rather beyond the expected norms
expected by the mjority of builders.

I've often wondered about this myself. I suppose you wouldn't find that type
of fit in any official Lego-produced creation. But it is all 100% Lego, so I
say it's Good!

Of course if the fit is too tight, then you'll break something. Then you've
just modified a part, technically speaking, and we all know what a no-no
that is! ;-)

-TJ

I've wanted to bring up this subject before but it's rarely happens and I
haven't got around to it until now.

I've managed to get my tubes 1 unit closer together, but the downside of my
system is a huge 2x2 appendage added to the side.

Steve