 Technic / 7763
  The Big Crane At Brickfest

I brought a new MOC to the fest- a large pedestal mounted marine crane. This directory contains a few of my pictures: (URL) others took pics of it at the fest. Here are some of them: (URL) prepare a proper webpage for it sometime in the near future. (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic) !!

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) Oops! I'm sorry, but I forgot to add one important detail on the main post (it was such a hodgepodge of info). The crane was voted the #1 MOC in the Technic category. Thank you to everyone who voted for it! And a great big thanks to the awards (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) TJ: Congratulations! That is just fantastic. I can't wait to see it! j. (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Thomas, (...) Sounds interesting! (...) Only 71 hours, that's not much for such a high tech crane. I wish I could see the crane in real once. It would be great if you can show on the Modelshow Europe ;-) The visitors like the LEGO models! Especially (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) I was fortunate enough to get it right (or at least get it to work) on the first try. For some reason, every part of the construction went very well, almost too well. I kept a log of my building time, and was quite surprized at the final (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Very impressive crane, certainly can see why it was voted #1 Technic MOC! I especially like the look of the boom, I just love the look of the beams. I was curious if this was based on a specific crane or just an excellent general representation of (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) Dennis, Booms made of Technic beams like this are remarkably strong. I am working on a crane as well (who isn't!) and have tested the boom to 100Kg direct load and it doesn't even look like moving. I was pretty amazed about this result myself. (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) Yep, that is pretty amazing. Got any pics? How long is the structure, how is it constructed? The problem, or rather potential problem, with a Lego truss is that failure is catastrophic (and I speak from experience here). You'll have one joint (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) Thanks! (...) This crane was based on typical marine pedestal-mounted cranes of the 400~600 ton variety. I incorporated characteristics of the real cranes into my model, but at no particular scale. You will find cranes like this mounted on the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

(...) It is currently only the boom base section and a hammerhead top section. They total just under 1 meter. I used beams for the chords(the vertical members at the corners), they are joined with a tile and plate sandwiching the beams. The beams (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Gordon, When you wan't to lift such a heavy load the technic axles are too weak. So you have to use other materials than LEGO. I've made a 4.2 metres high Liebherr LG1550 and know how far you can go with it. A hundred kg's seems impressive, but is (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Thanks for the reply Dennis. So far, I haven't hit problems with the axles. I am making sure every load bearing axle has at least two shear planes for this reason. Also doubling up on gears (tandem) and making sure all axles are supported everywhere (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Gordon, (...) The axles of my crane were supported as well. I put six black bricks under the chassis. You nearly couldn’t trace them. Many people thought the crane was supported only by it’s heavy support arms. But as LEGO-ist you know that’s far (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

"Dennis Bosman" <dennisbosman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H06pvL.7BD@lugnet.com... (...) you're (...) with (...) to (...) time (...) finish (...) than (...) Have you any photos of the bushing that pierced the Technic brick? I'm having a hard (...) (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest

Geoffrey, As I don't have a digital camera, I haven't got any pictures concerning broken parts etc. Yet me explain the matter for the second time: the half bush turned completely into a hole of a technic beam. Recently I had the same problem to (...) (22 years ago, 4-Aug-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam)