 Technic / 7519
Re: DNA Model Using Technic Parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 16:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/dna/

Cool, TJ!  One question: will #1 remain in a helix shape without being held in
it?

Unfortunately not. Both models must be held in your hands to hold the helix
shape. Also, model 1 has to be held to keep the ladder shape (because of all
the u-joints; it's not stable).

The next step would be to build a little stand with a frame around the DNA
model. You could have different attachment points to hold the model in the
ladder shape, or the helix shape.

If a design would statically remain as a ladder or a helix, I would think
that it would make a *great* set for TLC to produce! (not the *whole* DNA
strand, mind you;-)  I'd know I'd buy one for my kids and all of their
cousins...

I agree 100%, that would make a terrific set! Lego can be an excellent
learning tool when applied.

One key element that's needed is a new piece that functions like a u-joint,
but has friction in the pins. That way you could move it around, but it
would hold its shape.

I tried a DNA model using the new click joints from the Super Battle Droid
(set 8012) but it was too difficult to manipulate the model. I think a joint
that moved smoothly, but with friction, would work best.

TJ