 Technic / 7185
Re: SSPP: To keep or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:58:49 GMT

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:25:07 GMT, "Thomas Avery"
<thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote:

Tobbe,

I think the SSPP contest is great, but perhaps not attractive to some
people. It's a great challenge to make anything capable of pulling weight,
but it is very limiting.

Well, like I said, most motorized sets do have enough gears to make
the wheels slip so it'll all be a question of getting the parts (max
weight) in there and make them press down on the wheels.

I think it's more attractive to have a contest that would result in a
"normal" MOC. This means allowing unlimited parts to be used.

Given the low frequency of new MOCs in the Technic and Model Team groups, I
think it's better to not limit the parts used. So when a builder creates
something, they can create the MOC they really want and also participate in
the contest.

Hmmmm...

However, this type of power pulling contest already exists with Todd's
competition, but his weight classes only extend to 5 pounds. MOCs like my
tractor and Steve Lane's Rotinoff (I suspect) weigh over 5 pounds. I don't
know if Todd plans to create heavier classes or not, but they're definitely
needed (hint-hint: Tobbe's Ultra-Heavy Class Power Puller Contest).

I had plans for an additional "no rules lifting" class when I designed
the challenge but scrapped the idea.

5 pounds is not much when it comes to our MOC's but there's also the
"100% LEGO" rule which disallowes RC of most kinds and when I build
big I want it in there.

Furthermore it's all about ratios so the size of the MOC does not
count I think.

I'm still trying to get more weight pulled then the MOC itself and it
looks like it's a surface question here, again friction is the key.
I'll try sandpaper since Todd's rules currently don't specifiy the
surface.

There are other "power" contests that you can have. You could do one for
cranes and have the heaviest lift competition.

That's a good idea too. Perhaps a better idea then the hunt for
friction that pulling's about.

Who'll be the first to lift him/herself with LEGO? :) Wow, that would
mean a _lot_ of pulleys to distract the weight and let's not forget
the string... Yikes!

As for MoTeC: YES, definitely keep it!

No worries mate, it's there to stay!
/Tobbe