 Technic / 7183
Re: SSPP: To keep or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:25:07 GMT

Tobbe,

I think the SSPP contest is great, but perhaps not attractive to some
people. It's a great challenge to make anything capable of pulling weight,
but it is very limiting.

I think it's more attractive to have a contest that would result in a
"normal" MOC. This means allowing unlimited parts to be used.

Given the low frequency of new MOCs in the Technic and Model Team groups, I
think it's better to not limit the parts used. So when a builder creates
something, they can create the MOC they really want and also participate in
the contest.

However, this type of power pulling contest already exists with Todd's
competition, but his weight classes only extend to 5 pounds. MOCs like my
tractor and Steve Lane's Rotinoff (I suspect) weigh over 5 pounds. I don't
know if Todd plans to create heavier classes or not, but they're definitely
needed (hint-hint: Tobbe's Ultra-Heavy Class Power Puller Contest).

There are other "power" contests that you can have. You could do one for
cranes and have the heaviest lift competition.

As for MoTeC: YES, definitely keep it!

TJ

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:

Hi there!

Some time ago I launched two challenges, one that I think can survive
and lead to something good for the Technic community - MoTeC [1].

But the other one, SSPP - Single Set Power Pulling [2], it's a failure
in my eyes.

Since it's launch I've got one (1) competitor [3] (thanks Rosco!) and
no more, it's now been 45 days since it's announcement.

I started on my own lil' contribution but realized it would all bee a
struggle for friction, e.g. putting as much weight in it as possible =
all parts used in some way.

Almost all motorized sets have enough gears to make the wheels slip so
I reccon most sets will be a question of getting all the parts in the
model. A challenge on it's own of course, but hardly the Technic
booster I was hoping for.

With Todd's new pulling competition [4] where it's about weight/pulled
weight ratios I feel my challenge is done for.

I'm thinking of scrapping it, suggestions? Comments?

I'm not sad it did not work, I'm glad you all took the time to come
with suggestions etc..

I still burn for the MoTeC challenge though!

[1] http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/challenge/motec.html
[2] http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/challenge/sspp.html
[3] http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/challenge/sspp_scores.html
[4] http://legolinks.tripod.com/LegoContest.htm