 Technic / 7129
Re: Big shovels (was: CAT 797 Mining Truck Pictures.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:58:13 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Guerquin writes:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2000/May/200005_specialtyfile_caterppillar_797.xml

They mention shovels 90-100 tons - the largest strip shovel (in fact the
largest land machine ever to move under it's own power) was "The Captain",
which could move 180 cubic yards (over 250t) of overburden in one "bite".

But even it was eclipsed by "Big Muskie" a walking dragline, though smaller
overall, could remove 220 cubic yards (over 350t) in each "bite". Yep, thats
almost enough to fill one of those big Cats!

However they were never actually filled dump trucks directly - and both were
scrapped in the early 90s. You can find more info about shovels at
www.stripmine.org

ROSCO