 Technic / 6477
Re: compact designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:30:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, William Howard writes:
Which 9v motor?  The old version or the new version - the new version is
geared 350:1 relative to the old version anyway.

No way! Have a look at this:
http://web.mit.edu/sp.742/www/motor.html

The new geared 9v motor revolves at a ratio of 1:3.79 (approximate) of the
old 9v motor.

We really need to know what kind of ratio is needed, how much torque it will
have to sustain and how much space is actually available in order to come up
with a practical design.

The recent posts on Power Pullin' should highlight torque issues, while
Jennifer Clark's excellent Compact Excavator drive train
(http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/js70_lrg/drivetrain2_lrg.htm)
shows what can be accomplished in a very small space - note that gears are
placed at both ends of the body and joined by long axles to enable bits of
space to be used and not one contigous area.

If you can convince Steve Lane to give up details on his transmission
design, I think he can help ;-)

However, your request sparked some interest in me, so I designed a system
to achieve 1:2016 reduction

Whoa. That's definitely gear-breaking torque.

in a (maximum)
space 4 studs wide by 5 studs long by 4 beams high.  The final drive is
directly in line with the original motor output.  However, I think the
solution is completely impractical due to high friction, non-standard
meshing of gears, and the use of the flimsy 14t single bevel gears - but it
was fun!  I have an LDraw/MLCad DAT file I can e-mail direct if you're
interested
(lugnet newsgroups won't accept LDraw files).

Save an image file from MLCAD and post it on Brickshelf!

TJ