 Technic / 6478
Re: Lego Links Up with BMW Williams Formula 1 Team!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:01:12 GMT

This is great news!  So far it was looking like it was going to a sad year
for Technic (OK, so call me a Bionicle Burner -just hate those sets) but
this has helped me revive my spirits for 2K2.

Would be kind of nice to see Lego get together w/ Porsche and come out w/ a
Lego GT-1 racer?

Adrian E.

"Chris Fenter" <chris@i-axis.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
this sounds like a very cool promotional link up! the story is on the BMW
Williams F1 homepage at http://www.bmw.williamsf1.com/, and probably
elsewhere too (I found it also at the Motor Sport news site
http://www.crash.net).

The main tie-in is with the Racers range, but there will also be what • looks
like a nice looking new version* of the Silver Champion (8458) in full • team
livery (due out in September) - very sweet!

Chris
*even though I've got an 8458, I want one of these!*

P.S. I couldn't find a Racers newgroup, so I hope I haven't missed anyone
out here!

P.P.S.
here's the text of the official press release... (it's quite long!)

LEGO Company in Pole Position with WilliamsF1
31st January 2002

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's the WilliamsF1 Team Racer, due to • hit
the shops in September 2002!

Billund, Demark/Oxford - One of the world's premier toy brands, the LEGO
Company, today announced a major licensing agreement with WilliamsF1, one • of
the most respected names in Formula One.

The three-year collaboration is based on LEGO Company's Racer products, • and
will provide children with an educational insight into the engineering,
design and experimentation processes that are vital to success in Formula • One.

The customisation and adaptation of LEGO Racers to compete in LEGO • Company's
fictional competition environment, the Drome, will draw on the real-life
engineering practices used in Formula One, thus providing children with an
exciting and engaging medium to learn about the design of vehicles to suit • a
variety of circumstances.

Brand Director Stig Blicher, said, We decided to work together with the
WilliamsF1 team as they quickly caught on to the idea about bringing the
fascinating world of Formula One into the children's own racing universe.
Formula One is all about cutting-edge technology and we think that
WilliamsF1 has one of the most ambitious and serious approaches to racing.
They are really world class within their field and known for building race
cars, customisation, high-quality performance and best practices. These
qualities correspond very well with those of the LEGO Company. The • learning
element and the strong brand recognition are also common features of the • two
companies.

As the prototype shows, the 'WilliamsF1 Team Racer' will allow children to
build and re-build their very own FW24!

Jim Wright, WilliamsF1 Head of Marketing reflected, "Following hard on the
heels of the launch of the new car last week, the FW24, this association
with another global brand of the stature of LEGO Company is tremendously
exciting for all concerned.

Morten Melbye Andersen, Director of Product Management, said: "Young boys
are drawn towards racing because of its essential elements of action, high
speed and excitement. Thanks to this new collaboration with the WilliamsF1
team, the young drivers of LEGO Racers can now also see how a Formula One
driver is not only dependent on his own driving skills, but also very much
on the technical back up in the pit."

LEGO Racers is a brand-new property from LEGO Company that places children
in the driver's seat. Motor racing is a sport in which everything can • change
in a split second. The LEGO Racers universe gives children access to the
very DNA of motor racing, offering them a tangible taste of the excitement
and encouraging them to experiment, build and rebuild their vehicles in
order to improve performance. In tying up with WilliamsF1 we want children
to be inspired by the fascinating real-life-racing world which they can • then
transfer to their own universe at home, Morten Melbye Andersen continued.

Commenting on the new alliance, Frank Williams, WilliamsF1 Managing • Director
said, I am delighted that we have forged such a prestigious partnership • with
LEGO Company, a ubiquitous brand name in every corner of the world. The • LEGO
Racers series is not just fun, but provides serious learning content for
children, drawing on the lessons of Formula One.

"During our meetings with WilliamsF1 it was great to see how fascinated • they
were by our Drome concept, a fiction environment - the Coliseum of
Competition - where race cars are rebuilt and customised for many • different
environments and the thrills and spills of racing is enjoyed. The Drome
concept has been created to inspire children to experiment and play with • the
racing DNA and the LEGO DNA," says Morten Melbye Andersen.

The 'WilliamsF1 Team Racer' by the LEGO Company.

In September 2002, the LEGO Company will launch the 'WilliamsF1 Team • Racer'
to complement the Racer series. The 65-centimetre long model, will be • based
on the WilliamsF1 BMW FW24 (Formula One racing car) and will be the LEGO
Racers flagship model.

The family-owned LEGO Company, founded in Denmark in 1932, is the world
leader in providing quality products and experiences that stimulate
children's creativity, imagination and learning. It does so through • playful
activities that encourage hands-on, minds-on creation, fun, togetherness • and
the sharing of ideas. By 2005, the company wants the LEGO brand to be the
strongest in the world among families with children.