 Technic / 6208
  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

Thanks Steve and Don! I tried out your ideas and also built a couple of others that are variations of your ideas. I think I'm getting close to what I need. thanks, TJ (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I've created a little page in the Ideas section of my website to "record" these ideas. (URL) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

The ideas are neat for joining beams like that,......but the pix on your Web-Site with the giant pully hook is killer!!!! Wow, I don't think it was there last time I visited. Thanks Eric www.mylegomaster.com (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) Thanks! I added that picture when I changed my website host and created www.texbrick.com. The big 20-part block and hook on the front page is of the same design as the one used on my big crawler crane: (URL) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) I started doing this earlier in the year: (URL) started as a simple LDRAW pic and then advanced into separate webpages with many pictures. I'm sure there are many other good construction ideas that have been discussed in this newsgroup before, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

What's up with that? If I recall correctly you requested to be the lugnet.technic curator. I can certainly second that. Any news about it? - David (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) Thanks for the vote! (...) No, not yet. I think Suz is slowly putting things together and assigning curatorship to certain people. I'd guess that she's doing the more popular, high-traffic groups first. If anyone is the Technic curator, speak (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) Hey, we are the sixth biggest theme group (after Robotics, Trains, Castle, Starwars & Space). We're huge! Don't mess with us... - David (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) If you want more 'axial strenght' try this: (URL) too, had the idea of doubling up my solution using 3L black pegs, I just didn't bother to write it down. Steve (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  RE: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) To solve that problem, you'd need to but the lock bushings on the axles parallel to the beams. Perhaps you were trying to add torsional (twisting) strength? --Bram Bram "Sorry, statics class kicking in" Lambrecht bram@cwru.edu www.bldesign.org (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) That's exactly what I did, Axial... axis, sounds the same, so I guessed that, was what it was. Steve (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) I've put together a little information on basic engineering terms: (URL) is the stuff you learn in a statics course, as Bram noted. TJ (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) Well my further education centered on computing, not the mechanical science's, and I knew what torsion and bending we're before hand. I bet a lot of technic readers didn't know what axial strenght was either. Steve (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) You're right! I don't know what "axial strenght" is either. But I do know what "axial strength" is ;-) There are two ways to load a member axially: tension and compression (i.e. pulling and squashing). I had been talking about axial tension, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) I think I'm with Steve on this, having had no mechanical engineering education tends to mean I know what things are, just not what to call them :-) That's a nice tractor BTW TJ, I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of that (and your (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg

(...) I realize this and I agree with him. That's why I created that little webpage. It will be a good reference for me in the future whenever I start spouting out these technical descriptions of things. (...) Thanks! It will be a long while before (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.technic)