 Technic / 6151
Re: Straightening technic tubing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:10:43 GMT

I've got them in mind for a current project, but I'd like them straight, • and
most of mine are curved (from being used in sets, or just from storage), • and
they straighten about as well as a pipe cleaner.

Any suggestions?

Ok, here's what I do :-)

You are correct in saying these things are almost never straight, in fact I
think the key to their use is to assume that they will *never* be straight.
Look at them as splines with the only means of shaping and supporting being
the endpoints and optionally any intermediate points you choose; if those
are well connected, then they should settle well into their natural shape
even if they have been bent in other directions in the past. Of course, the
longer the distance between the connection points, the more likely you are
to notice fluctuations.

On my skid steer loader I used fairly long lengths (~15 studs)  to carry
compressed air along the boom, and having a clip in the middle as well as
each end was not really ideal as the clip occasionally snagged on the body
of the model when the boom was moving. The solution was to move this
intermediate clip to one of the endpoints, so that that endpoint was in fact
attached twice, and this worked well.

I find it best to cut them with a sharp knife as opposed to scissors, which
tend to deform the end.

Jennifer